Monday, May 14, 2012

Week 3!!


Waddup. Monday brings me preparing for the Women's Leadership Training, for a meeting tomorrow, and getting ready for a day trip this weekend.  

This past weekend we started the Needs Assessment for Gender Policies in the NGOs ZANGOC is associated with, as well as introducing them to the GET. Just judging from the ones that I went to, it went well - I'm hoping the other groups had just as much success.  Because one NGO we visited was only available in the morning, and the other was only available at 4pm I had quite the adventurous day.  I was partnered with Juma, he is a GET member and works with ZASO (an NGO for HIV/AIDS orphans and vulnerable children), and I had the pleasure of meeting his family.  I met his two younger sisters, their children, as well as his mother.  People are very excited to welcome you into their homes and introduce you to their friends and relatives, sometimes it can be overwhelming.  They were all very sweet and welcoming and happy to meet me, and the children were not scared of me like Katie is at home.  

Other then planning for WL training, as well as a meeting this week, Ben and I are going to Jozani Forest.  It is home to the rare Red Colobus Monkey, which is not so rare to see on a day trip.  I think we will also visit the Zanzibar Butterfly Centre and potentially Zala Park.  It will be a day full of animals!!! I'm excited.  

Thursday night Cheryl came to town to visit Ben and I (buuuut mostly me, because we hadn't seen each other since I arrived in country).  We went out for dinner - we started at the Africa House Hotel for some coffee, and it was beautiful.  It is a second story balcony that overlooks the ocean - the stars were out and so bright!! I was mesmerized, as I always am with the sky.  We were joined by Ben's friend Eric who is a psychologist working in Dodoma.  After, we moved over to an Ethiopian restaurant.  It was my first time eating Ethiopian and it was DELICIOUS.  You order different dishes and it is served on a circular platter on top of this spongey bread.  You eat the food with little rolls of this bread, and when you finish, you eat the plate!! Yummy yummy in my tummy.

So, that is the big stuff that has happened since my last post.  Other then that I had a dance party with Aisha, Neema, Ishaka, and three of the neighbouring children in our house last night, and I got henna-ed again, but this time it was piko and not on my nails.  

Sending lots and lots of upendo,
Jamie


ps- i LOVE reading all the comments!! Thanks for leaving them :)

5 comments:

  1. Jamie, You sound like you are having a wonderful time. I hope not too much though as we expect you home in a few weeks!
    P.S. No dam baby yet!!! haha
    Miss YOu, Love Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jamie, just screwing around with the grammar comment on your other post. So freaking jealous that you're in Africa. I'm going to beat you to Asia though, ok? And South America, and Australia. And maybe even Antarctica if I'm kind of bored sometime. Anywho, rambling a bit here. Super jealous, gonna beat you elsewhere...that pretty much covers it.
    Also, love you, have lots of fun, take lots of pictures, come home safe, and Mom wants a little African baby.
    Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jamie!This is Maggie.I miss you alot.We've been praying for you.Hope you're having fun!I'll see you in 3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a little African baby too (this is in relation to Scott's post...). Maybe it would like me more than the one in the DR lol. I'm jealous that you got to try ethiopian food! Can you learn a recipe or two so that I can try some when you get back? :D Love you James, can't wait to hear about the animals you see on your day trip! (Hippos?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A dance party with neighbours!?! That's adorable, sounds amazing. I'm glad you are having fun Jamie!

    ReplyDelete