Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Three weeks already!

Mambo rafikis!!

So this week is already our fourth week here which means we have already been here for three weeks! It's ridiculous.  One the one hand I feel as though I have been here forever, and on the other I feel as though I just got here. 

Yesterday Jenn and I had our HBC English and Computers class.  We just worked on computers - basic formatting and typing on Microsoft Word - because we are now going three times a week! Tomorrow we'll be at the internet cafe where the kids can all be on computers themselves, and then Thursday we'll do an english lesson.  It's a little difficult teaching the computers because Jenn and I work off a laptop while the kids crowd around us and watch what we're doing - that's why Wednesdays we travel to the internet cafe.  

The kids are so cute!  For the past two weeks we have had 9 kids, yesterday we had 18!  Most of the new members to the group were at PlayDay on Saturday - so happy to have more kids!  They are all so excited to try and learn and be there with us.  They are possibly my favourite group. 
Today I'm just working on programs for the rest of the week.  Tomorrow's internet cafe lesson plan, Thursday's english for HBC and also puberty at the SSS, and Friday is girl's club.

Thursday's health plan is going to be interesting!! Devon and I work together for that class and last week we did a general puberty and female/male reproductive anatomy lesson.  The boys and girls were together for the lesson, and considering the material it went fairly well.  A couple of giggles here and there but we were giggling too!  Magunda did a good job considering the content - when he had to say vagina in Swahili the kids knew what was coming - they started to laugh and yell and egg him on to say it, and although he started to laugh a little he eventually said it... with applause and laughter from both the kids and Devon and I.

This week however we are splitting up the boys and girls to go into more detail and depth about the changes they will be facing, or are currently facing.  No prob right?  Wrong.  What about the cultural differences in dealing with menstruation, cramps, do they shave legs and armpits here?  It's cool - I've mostly got it figured out.  The only thing I'm worried about is that the girls won't ask the questions they want to ask.  Devon and I are relying on the lesson being a lot of discussion and Q&A, but having the girls with a male translator may present a shyness problem.  Hopefully not!

Other than that I'm about to grab some lunch and work on my english lesson plan!  Ouuu, we found a little place that makes fruit salad with ice cream on the top.  Mango, pineapple, banana, papaya, vanilla ice cream... heaven!! 

Also, does anyone have any ideas yet about food Jenn and I can cook for our famjam?
I'm hearing little good things about improving weather at home - yaaay!
It's HOT and gorgeous here!

lots of upendo! (love)
Jamalam! 

1 comment:

  1. Jammmers!!!

    That sounds like soo much work but the payoff also sounds so rewarding! I remember having sex education in grade 4 and everyone would giggle and then we would have an anonymous question period where we would write down q's and then then they'd all get answered so one felt embarrassed to ask although the translation process may (hopefully not) hinder that. Good luck with it!

    Love Love Love (your favorite person)
    IshiiiBeee <3

    ReplyDelete