Wednesday, June 22, 2011

So little time!

Zanzibar was AMAZING.

minus the last night of being up all night sick and then travelling home on the ferry and then public bus, sick.  But other then that it was fabulous!! Full moon party, beach, parasailing, stone town, fish market... paradise!

Now back to Morogoro and time to wrap everything up!

I saw murder yesterday.
Rabbit murder that is!  We went to Kiroka with YCI Intern Larissa for a rabbit raising project.  Three local women from two villages were selected to receive three rabbits to start their own rabbit raising business - to sell the meat for profit.  Two days of training went really well - but yesterday we watched the rabbit guy show them how to kill, skin, gut, and then clean the rabbit - yummy!  Rabbits are also really easy to skin - two people grab an end of the rabbit and pull, and the skin comes right off (after you behead it of course!).

This week is our last week of real classes - next week we have a graduation party for the Chamwino and HBC computer and english classes, and then posttests and final activity reports for everything.  And A LOT of goodbyes.  I'm so NOT ready to go yet.  Two months is such a short time!  Before coming I was thinking that eight weeks is going to be so long and I'll barely make it,.,... but it's been so short and I wanna stay for another eight weeks!  (although if I did that a certain someone might kill me! haha).

We had internet cafe with our computer and english classes tonight and after we took them all out for a soda! They are definitely my favourite class! Just such good and cute kids, so ready to learn!  It's going to be really hard to leave them!  And our famjam and Frankie and Magunda and Makho, and Jamie(another YCI intern)!

But I must stop talking about leaving since it isn't happening YET, but very soon!

So tomorrow is english with HBC!  Friday we have girls club and it's going to be a big debate!  The girls formed two teams and they are going to debate about how women don't need to rely on men.  It's for sure going to be interesting!  They are an awesome bunch of girls - pretty independent and well organized.  One of them, Anna, drew all of us (Tony, Jenn, Devon, and I) pictures today to take home.  They are so good! Such a little artist.

Everywhere we go we make friends.  It is such a friendly and wonderful place! 

3 comments:

  1. Zanzibar!
    That sounds familiar :) I have "Crazy Like Us" on my bookshelf at home - love that book so much.
    It's so crazy to hear about your amazing journey so far. When your new posts show up on my RSS feed, I get so happy :)
    Miss you, Jamie! Return home safely!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear all the wonderful things you are doing for the children and the people there. I don't think you will ever look at a rabbit the same way will you Jamie? I'm sure the next few weeks will be very busy for you and Maggie and Owen are very excited to hear all about it (as are we!).
    We've been busy here also, the kids are getting ready to finish school next week, and Maggie makes her First Communion this Sunday (she's so excited and she looks beautiful in her dress). We were at Al's 50th birthday party last weekend which was alot of fun. We are going to your house on Saturday for dinner.
    That's all for now, take care.
    Lots and lots of love from all of us
    Petey

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you first wrote murder my heart sank an then I realized you were talking about rabbits -__- lol. Told you once you went there time would fly! I'm glad it's such an amazing place! =)

    IshiiBee

    ReplyDelete